The project manager is a versatile figure who coordinates and manages the various aspects of a project’s life cycle, from initial assessment to control. His activity involves the operational and relational areas :
- organising the life cycle of a project, from its inception to its completion;
- building interpersonal relationships with the project team;
- allocating resources and distributing them to the various project areas;
- monitoring the progress of the project;
- efficently managing available human resources;
- carrying out risk prevention activities;
- carrying out quality checks on a regular basis.
A good project manager has good negotiation and organisational skills, an open and flexible mind and an excellent ability to relate to others. To reach the goal has to make sure that costs, time and quality are met as agreed and draws on his knowledge of methodological, management and behavioural techniques.